IKEA HELMER Furniture Mod – Découpage Progress

Malibu Desk Furniture Mod – Finished Components 08/03/2013

So a while ago I bought this desk with the intention of covering the drawer fronts and possibly the shelves in comics, to make it look better. I finished the work on the individual components a few days ago but put off taking photographs. I’ve yet to assemble the whole thing, although it’s been ready for a while.

164-6172107MMA75UC926789XThis is the original desk. After opening the box, I was pleased to discover that the finish on the desk isn’t a black stain like it looks like in the product picture, but actually a glossy black without visible wood grain.

These are the components I decided to modify.

DSC_0946DSC_0947It’s 3 shelves, 3 drawer-fronts and 3 drawer bases. I did both sides for the shelves and drawer fronts, but didn’t pay much attention to the content on the sides that would rarely be visible. For the others, I used a base layer of comics I didn’t care about, then arranged panels I liked which would fit in the space. I glued everything in place using a homemade Mod Podge mix – 2 parts PVA glue to 1 part water, and foam applicators which worked terrifically for it. I gave everything 2 coats of the glue-mix on top for sealant, and when they were dry, 2-3 coats of Prism Clear Gloss on the top of that.

The gloss was a little tricky to use since I’d never used it before, and I learned that it’s better to apply it as quickly as possible with a reasonable amount. Too much and it gets air bubbles, too little and it’s brush-strokey and patchy, but if you apply it slowly then it starts to dry very quickly and becomes difficult to move through and goes streaky.

DSC_0960

The finished shelves, top side. I was really pleased with these and got to use up some of the large full-page panels I’d been saving up.

DSC_0961

Finished shelves, bottom side. Not particularly interesting, I just cut whatever pages out and fit them together. These will hardly ever be particularly visible so I didn’t want to waste good panels.

DSC_0962 DSC_0963 DSC_0964 DSC_0966

The drawer fronts. These look better than the photographs show, and are really bright and glossy. Very pleased with them.

DSC_0968 DSC_0971 DSC_0970 DSC_0969

The backs of the drawers. You can see the ridge for the drawer bottoms and the holes for the screws and dowels. They look all right, as with the B-side for the shelves I didn’t want to waste good material on something that would hardly ever be visible. Although I’ll admit that last one looks way more tentacle-rape-y than I had in mind, even though the X-Men don’t go in for that sort of thing.

DSC_0972 DSC_0973

The drawer bases. They won’t be visible very much but I was still pretty happy with them, although discovered after I’d done them all that, genius that I am, they are all sideways. I don’t care enough to fix it, I’ll probably normally be to one side of my drawers anyway!

DSC_0974 DSC_0976 DSC_0975

Bonus group shots of comic-y goodness. I’ll add pictures when I bother to finish assembling it all!